Friday, January 16, 2009

"uses for direct quotation"


Yesterday, when we were receiving our eight-zillionth APA format briefing, we were told that quotes are appropriate only in three cases, one of which is when the author's original words captivate an idea so well that to alter the verbiage would lose something substantial (or something to that effect).  I took this as validation for my tendency to simply dump the words of those far more brilliant than I on my page, with no accompaniment other than a pair of apostrophes as bookends.  So, here's to more wonderful words and the maintenance of their essence...
"I think there's a tension between frustration and optimism as a person...  Obviously, you can't close your eyes and ignore all of the things that are horrible in the world.  But it doesn't do anyone any good to completely focus on only that and not see things that are beautiful.  For me it is a day-to-day thing.  There are days when I feel really positive and hopeful and really optimistic, and there are days when I wake up on the opposite side of the bed and I can't get to those feelings anymore.  I can only get to the other side- the fear and the horror of these things that go on every day in the world.  It's pretty much a constant struggle to stay positive and not succumb to those kind of feelings... continuously seeking optimism..."  
"If you want to tell a lot of people something and you happen to have a megaphone in your hand, you're going to use the megaphone- you're not going to whisper it."

No comments: