Friday, January 9, 2009

the grinch that stole kindness


Today, Michael and I were pulling up to the library when we saw the parking enforcement go-cart stopping beside us. On our other flank was the Volunteers of America "Homeless Outreach Program" van with a flashing red "expired" meter in front of it. Michael and I looked at the van, then the enforcer, I threw him a handful of change and said, "GO!!"

As he was dropping in dimes, a grumpy, FAT, balding senior began the effort of exiting his vehicle, shouting, "if that isn't your car, and you're feeding the meter, you are in deep shit!" Michael looked at him, puzzled, cocked his head, and paused. "Not in this city, boy! Step away!"

Michael looked at me. I said, "I am sorry, sir. This is the season of compassion, and this is a homeless outreach van. I guess I didn't know Salt Lake City was in such dire need of funds. Our apologies."

Michael walked towards me, we turned our backs and left, dreaming up plans to run down the row of meters, tossing coins in each before darting down alleys toward Sherwood Forest, escaping with Merry Men grace, leaving the evil Sheriff of Nottingham to helplessly shake his fists in selfish disgust.

1 comment:

Meagan said...

I love it.. thanks.